In September 1884, thirteen clubs' delegates met at the Philadelphia Kennel Club in response to Messrs. J.M. Taylor and Elliot Smith's desire to create a "Club of clubs" to oversee bench shows and field trial matters. The American Kennel Club was formed as a result of this meeting in October 1884 with a newly drafted constitution and by-laws and five elected officers. Breed standards, the formation of committees, and Executive Committee duties were later added to these governing documents. In 1888, the constitution was amended to require publication of an official Stud-Book and a Kennel Gazette. By 1906, the AKC was incorporated and a Board of Directors created. In 1909, the club re-incorporated, simplifying and clarifying its constitution and by-laws and separating the Rules and Regulations of Dog Shows and Rules Governing Clubs from the by-laws. These rules were separately published beginning in the early 1930s.